Editor’s Note: Meet Crave’s next Star Wars Scout hopeful, Gavin Gregory. Gavin is a student at Indiana University and has been collecting Star Wars since he was a wee little lad of about 8. Though he started with us on Crave Transformers, Gavin was an early supporter of the Star Wars marketplace and jumped at the chance to join the SW Scout team. Gavin sent over a couple choice pictures of his collection, be sure to check out the photos and read the interview!
1. Share with us your first memory of Star Wars? How old were you? Where were you?
My first memory of Star Wars would have to be when I was around 7 years old. I remember seeing ESB and thinking how awesome the AT – ATs were. The Battle of Hoth is still my favorite movie scene! The bounty hunter scene was very cool to me as well. IG 88 was my favorite character as a kid!
2. Is this first moment what started it all for you in terms of Star Wars? Or did it take time for your interest in Star Wars to take off?
It actually took more time for my interest to take off. I initially was interested in the figures, but it wasn’t until I was in my early teens that I was really able to understand the movies and collecting. The prequel trilogy really set it off in me.
3. What is it about Star Wars that drew you in? Why is it a passion of yours?
The deep stories and size of everything. It’s literally another world. Star Wars to me means a lot because it was my first introduction to Sci Fi and is still my favorite by far.
4. When did you first start collecting?
When I was around 8-9 years old.
5. What was your first Star Wars figure or piece of merchandise? Do you still have that piece?
My actual first collectible would have to have been the pod racing game for Nintendo 64. My dad and I played hours of that game together. Another reason I love Star Wars! I don’t have it, but would love to have it again!
6. How large is your collection now?
Right now I feel like my collection is a good size for me. I really only collect things that really interest me, so my collection is based more on quality than quantity. Every piece in my collection means something to me.
7. What is your favorite piece in your collection? If you have more than one list a few. Pictures would also be awesome if you have some or could take some!
I would say my PotF AT – AT passed down to me from my uncle. Sure it’s missing the cockpit top (still searching for one) but it means a lot.
8. Do you have any great Star Wars related stories you may like to share? Maybe a great memory from a convention or the movie theater?
I remember my mom taking a group of friends and I to see Episode 1 when it first came out in theaters. I was blown away by the podracing.
9. Do you collect anything else? If so what?
I collect Transformers, comic books and Legos as well as Star Wars.
10. Is there anything relevant you would like to share with the Crave community that we didn’t cover in these questions?
I would have to say that collecting Star Wars is one of the best hobbies out there. Not only are you buying something that gives you joy by collecting, but you’re also buying a piece of history with a character that has so much thought and work behind it. No other series of toys can say it has the history and legacy that Star Wars does.
11. Why do you want to be a Scout on Crave?
I think I would be a very big asset to the Crave community. I first started on Transformers Crave, but when I saw the opportunity to vote for a Star Wars marketplace, I was ecstatic. I have knack for all things Star Wars and this is no different. I am a New Media major at Indiana University and this is a great opportunity to put my skills to the test. Part of the curriculum is to connect with people with technology via web/graphic design and social media and I think I would be very beneficial to the Crave team!